Baby dies as fire razes houses in Siaya

Baby dies as fire razes houses in Siaya

A sombre mood engulfed Oyango village in Siaya after a four-month-old baby died after their house caught fire early Wednesday morning.

According to area assistant chief Mrs. Rachael Anyango, the child’s 20-year-old mother had gone to the farm and left the infant and other children sleeping.

It is suspected that one of the children woke up and lit a tin lamp which caused the fire.

The mother was still at the farm when she received news that her house was on fire but when she got back, it was too late. Attempts by neighbours to put out the inferno were in vain.

The other children managed to run to safety leaving the infant behind.

Police have launched investigations.