Citizen TV’s Yvonne Okwara among top African women feted in new book
Facebook released a book that recognises women breaking boundaries in different fields and Citizen TV’s Yvonne Okwara is one of them.
In the book titled LeadHERs: Life Lessons from African Women’, Yvonne Okwara shares personal experiences and life lessons on how she has navigated her path to success, as well as the challenges she has had to overcome.
“I am deeply honoured to be among the 19 women in Africa that Facebook featured in this series. There are some women on the list whose work I have followed and admired from afar, others whose incredible stories I am learning about and getting inspired by. I hope it is as inspiring for all who read it as it has been for me. I take it in stride, acknowledging that this continent is full of great, smart, beautiful women who break barriers every day, in every way,” she told Citizen Digital on Tuesday.
Nunu Ntshingila, Regional Director, Facebook Africa said they sought to provide inspirational real-life stories for future generations and young leaders no matter the background, age or ambition.
“At Facebook we know that African women are at the helm of shaping the future of our promising continent – they are changemakers, mothers and CEOs. This book is a celebration of just some of the exceptional African women who in their own right are trail-blazers, motivating and inspiring people and advocating for good across Africa, and the world. We’re excited about their individual stories, inspired by challenges they’ve endured and how they’ve risen above these, and importantly how they’ve turned these into important life lessons to help inspire others,” said Nunu Ntshingila, Regional Director, Facebook Africa.
Over 5,000 copies of the printed version will be distributed across 15 countries including South Africa, Nigeria, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Liberia, Senegal and Kenya.
The women featured are:
- Yvonne Okwara – Journalist and News Anchor [Kenya]
- Tecla Chemabwai – Athlete and Educator [Kenya]
- Elizabeth Akua Ohene – Journalist and Politician [Ghana]
- Alice Nkom – Lawyer and Human Rights Activist [Cameroon]
- Baratang Miya -Tech entrepreneur and CEO [South Africa]
- Hindou Oumarou Ibrahim – Global Activist [Chad]
- Dr Judy Dlamini – Entrepreneur, Author and Philanthropist [South Africa]
- Hawa Sally Samai – Founder, CEO and Campaigner [Sierra Leone]
- Bethlehem Tilahun Alemu – Founder and CEO [Ethiopia]
- Lelemba Phiri – Entrepreneur, Investor, Educator [Zambia]
- Temi Giwa-Tubosun – Founder and CEO [Nigeria]
- Vanessa Hau Mdee – Media personality, Musician and Podcaster [Tanzania]
- Monica Musonda – Lawyer, Entrepreneur and CEO [Zambia]
- Saran Kaba Jones – Founder and CEO [Liberia]
- Kalista Sy – Showrunner and Screenwriter [Senegal]
- Tara Fela-Durotoye – Entrepreneur and CEO [Nigeria]
- Noella Coursaris Musunka – Model and Philanthropist [Democratic Republic of the Congo]
- Samantha ‘MisRed’ Musa – Media personality, Social Influencer and Philanthropist [Zimbabwe]
- Djamila Ferdjani – Doctor and Entrepreneur [Niger]